Long hours at the office remain a recurring theme these days. We stretched out the short ribs leftovers for Monday. Tuesday dinner was quickly defrosted salmon fillets with salad. Wednesday, additional fridge foraging with salad. By Thursday, I needed a hot, gut warming meal but didn’t want to slave over the stove or cutting boards for too long. I decided to channel my inner Nigella and rummaged through the kitchen to see what I could open, empty out, and go while remaining somewhat ‘brilliant!’. Here’s what I found
- The potentially stale remains of an open bag of tortilla chips
- Almost a full quart of chicken stock in the fridge
- Sour cream that smelled okay
- Canned chicken and tomatoes
- Cilantro from Sunday’s market
I don’t advocate fully relying on canned chicken breasts, but that night, it was a life saver. Of course, poaching your own would have yielded tastier results. Ditto for making stock from scratch.
GF360 Tortilla Soup
Add the following ingredient in order to a 3.5 quart sauce pan. On seasoning, base the amount of salt added on the tortilla chips you are using. I completely skipped it, but anyone using uncooked tortillas or lightly seasoned chips might have to add a little.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (warm for about a minute in medium heat)
- 1 small onion, diced in 1/2″ to 1″ pieces (cooked until soft)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (cooked with the onions)
- 1 tablespoon ground chipotle in adobo (add to onions and cook one minute; adjust according to taste or heat tolerance)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 12.5 oz can cooked chicken breast undrained (deglace any brown bits with liquid from tomatoes/chicken)
- 1 quart chicken stock (bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer)
- A few handful of tortilla chips (push down with spoon and continue simmering for at least 10 minutes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (set aside some for garnishing)
Serve in bowls and top with your favorite garnishes. We used extra cilantro and sour cream but a little grated cheese would have been tasty too! DH enjoyed it very much, so I think this one will be going into regular rotation. I will also definitely try it poaching the chicken myself later.