It’s time for a giveaway! I am joining dear friends from the culinary blogosphere to celebrate February and Valentine’s Day with the #CookbookAffair giveaway’s series. Fourteen days, fourteen cookbooks, fourteen great blogs to get to know better! We have picked some great books to gift lucky readers, and some of the ladies have added extra swag you should check out. Today we’re into our fourth day of prizes.
The lineup so far?
- Alice from A Mama, A Baby and a Sharpei in the Kichen is giving away a copy of Artisan Breads Every Day.
- The delightful Chris from Mama’s High Strung is gifting a copy of one of the heavy hitters in my collection, The Flavor Bible.
- Christy, fellow Dorista and blogging from Confessions of a Culinary Diva is giving away a bundle of Around My French Table (!) and My Paris Kitchen by American-in-Paris David Leibovitz.
And here we are today, potentially giving YOU one of my favorite cookbooks of 2014, The Cuban Table.
There’s a line in a poem by Puerto Rican poetess Lola Rodríguez de Tió that states: Cuba y Puerto Rico son de un pajaro las dos alas. “Cuba and Puerto Rico are wings of the same bird”. Our islands have shared Taíno, Spaniard and African heritage and histories that have run somewhat parallel up until the second half of the last century. We cherish these cultural similarities, and celebrate what makes each island unique.
Ana Sofía Pelaez, who blogs at Hungry Sofía, wrote The Cuban Table. The Cuban Table is a beautiful compilation of recipes from the island and from the equally vibrant exiled communities of Miami, New York and beyond. The dishes shared in this cookbook have transcended generations as well as borders. Cuban cuisine is filled with pragmatism (every step has a purpose), a touch of whimsy, and extremely balanced flavors. Photographer Ellen Silverman captures the warmth of the meals and the people that proudly prepare and serve them. Her interest in photographing Cuban kitchens dates back to 2010. Images from those trips prior to the publishing of The Cuban Table have been exhibited in New York.
The book is divided into the following chapters:
- View from the Bakery Window
- Sitting Around the Lunch Counter (sandwiches and batidos)
- Soups and Stews
- Beans, Rice, and Eggs
- Chicken, Beef and Pork
- Fish and Seafood
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Sweets and Desserts
Some of the delicious recipes I will definitely try out include:
- Croquetas de jamón (Ham Croquettes) – Ana Sofía shares a nifty trick for making the béchamel for the base of these croquettes. Instead of making a roux, the flour is combined with the milk in the blender before cooking. Every recipe from the View from the Bakery Window chapter will transport you to your favorite Cuban or Spanish bakery in San Juan or Miami.
- Potaje de Frijoles Negros (Black Bean Pottage) – This dish is a definite multitasker. On its own, it’s the classic Cuban black bean soup. With reserved water from cooking the beans and a couple of cups of uncooked rice mixed in, it turns into moros y cristianos, the savory rice dish served on the side. Fun tidbit: while the word congrí is used to describe most dishes of rice and beans cooked together in Cuba, true congrí from the Eastern side of the island is made with red beans. The word congri – and the dish itself – is from African/Haitian decent: kongo means beans and ri stands for rice. (Happy word nerd here!)
- Harina con Cangrejo (Cornmeal Stew with Crab) – A Cuban cousin to US South shrimp and grits? Sí, porfa! I am especially fond of these dishes that show the common threads in Caribbean cuisines from the islands and the Gulf.
Want to win a copy of this gorgeous book? Enter here through the Rafflecopter widget! The more you participate, the more chances you have of receiving a copy of The Cuban Table.
** Giveaway is open to residents of Puerto Rico, the United States, Canada, and the rest of the Americas. Participants may enter from February 4th through February 20th through the Rafflecopter widget. The winner will be selected at random and announced on Wednesday, February 26th.
Want more chances to win another great cookbook? Make sure to stop by Liv Life tomorrow. Kim will be giving away a copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I’m a big fan of Viva Vegan! and Veganomicon, also by Terry Hope Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Kim will also be announcing the next participant in the Cookbook Affair giveaway series.
I have purchased the copies of The Cuban Table for the review and giveaway. All opinions are my own.