It’s the first French Friday of 2014! Mon Dieu, where does time go?
Today’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe is a Dressy Pasta Risotto, a take on macaroni and cheese where small-shaped pasta is cooked with chicken stock and aromatics and finished with a cream and Parmesan and Mascarpone cheeses. Instead of a side dish, I prepared two main dish servings of dressy penne pasta with mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and a dash of truffle oil. We eat a lot of pasta on weeknights and this technique creates a lot of depth in the taste. That is no small feat when cooking whole wheat pasta.
My main worry going into this recipe was the amount of liquid and time it would take to cook the heartier whole-wheat pasta I chose. It didn’t make much difference – I rounded up the total liquid to four cups of stock and cooked the pasta for almost thirty minutes.
Dressy Penne Pasta
By January 3, 2014Published:
It's the first French Friday of 2014! Mon Dieu, where does time go? Today's French Fridays with Dorie recipe is a Dressy Pasta …
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes chopped
- 1 basket button mushrooms cleaned and sliced in halves
- 1 teaspoon oregano fresh
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- truffle oil for garnish
- In a large saucepan or deep skillet, melt the butter together with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and shallots and cook until softened and lightly colored, about ten minutes. Add the sundries tomatoes, mushrooms and herbs and stir around until fragrant, about three more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan and bring up to a boil. Pour in the pasta and reduce the heat to medium/medium low. Let the penne cook in the simmering stock for at least 25 minutes or until al dente. There should be at least a 1/4 inch of stock left in the pan.
- When the pasta is cooked, add the cream and toss the cheese. Coat the penne well, and let it cook for five more minutes or until the sauce thickens. Serve immediately and drizzle with truffle oil.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
French Fridays with Dorie is an online cooking group where we work our way through Dorie Greenspan’s Around My French Table. My dressy penne pasta is a version of this week’s recipe, Dressy Pasta Risotto. To see how the rest of the group interpreted this easy recipe, click here.